A central priority for me is to invest in the leadership potential of those younger than myself. Finding younger leaders becomes easier with each passing year!
Here are a few of the principles I hold as I seek to invest in those younger than me:
1) Don't tell them, ask them.
2) Help them see themselves as others see them.
3) Ask them to reflect on their strengths and challenges as mirrored in the perceptions of others.
4) Challenge them to maximize their strengths for the benefit of others.
4) Encourage responsibility, not conformity, entitlement, or rebellion.
5) Affirm as much as possible, and encourage personal, honest clarity.
6) Believe in them; make room for them to try, and to fail.